December 13, 2013

Why casting judgement gets us nowhere

I always try to be nonjudgmental about people, but when it comes to deadbeat druggies I have a harder time seeing beyond the poison which weighs them down.  You see, if I were ever to donate money to a cause, it would be through a nice charitable organization where I knew that money would be used wisely...  Not to deadbeats who would possibly use them on cigarettes or worse...  But wait, there I go being judgmental.  I was always the one to say, "If I give money to a bum on the street, it will be a giftcard to a restaurant so he can't buy cigarettes or alcohol."

I watched this video that has been floating around on Facebook and other media sites and I have to ask myself the tough question of, "does this have an impact on people?" or "will they use the money for good?" but then I realize that this Secret Santa man is not expecting anything!  He is coming in with no judgment towards these people of low income, he is giving them more money than I have seen all month (college student probs) and simply looking to bless their lives.  No more, no less.


John 8 in the Bible tells of a woman caught in adultery.  The scribes and Pharisees bring her to Jesus and test Him by saying it is lawful for her to be stoned... 

"So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.”  And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground.  Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last.  And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.  When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours?  Has no one condemned you?”  She said, “No one, Lord.”  And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.” (John 8:7-11)

But what does Jesus do in this situation?  He tells the sinless to throw the first stone.

My question then is, how can we judge other brothers and sisters on the street if all sins are considered equal and that each time we judge someone for what we "think" they are doing, we are casting our undeserved stone.  Instead if love can be learned, peoples' lives could change.

From here on out, I am changing the way I view the people who stand on the street.  I do not know their story.  Who am I to judge?  I need to give, maybe not money, but maybe love and help them see the light of Jesus shining through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment