October 21, 2011

Foodie Friday: My Top Snacks.

I guest posted over at A Touch of Class last weekend. It was fun. :) I thought I'd quick touch on what I talked about there and share with you guys my favorite snacks.

Ok, who loves food? Well I do, obviously. I'm always eating or something like that. But the key to eating all the time is to eat foods that are good for you. I try to shy away from processed foods and foods with excess sugar. (Ok minus chocolate... Because we all need some chocolate love.) Anyways, here are 12 lovely snacks to try. Enjoy! P.S. They are tested, tried and true. :)

1. Oranges with peanut butter and sunflower seeds: Peel 1 orange and spread raw unsalted peanut butter and sprinkle lightly with raw unsalted sunflower seeds.

2. Pita pizza: Perfect for a snack for a full meal! Bake one whole wheat pita in the oven at 350 for 5 minutes, take out and top with 1 Tbsp. pizza sauce, all sorts of veggies and top off with feta cheese. Then bake for 10-15 minutes until heated through. YUM!

3. Kale chips: Preheat oven to 350 F. Wash kale and rip up into ʻchip sizeʼ pieces. Toss lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt or other spices. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until crisp.

4. PB & J: Lay out Ezekiel Bread and spread with raw unsalted peanut butter then slice up a couple strawberries and top.

5. Fruit parfait: Greek yogurt topped with berries. I love to top mine with strawberries!

6. Hummus: Try dipping homemade pita crackers or veggies.

7. Kale smoothie: I swear to God this tastes amazing. Blend until smooth: unsweetened almond milk, a few ice cubes, large handful of kale, handful of strawberries, 1/2 of frozen banana, 1/2 scoop protein powder.

8. Homemade guacamole: Mush 1 avocado in a small bowl, then add 1 chopped tomato, squeeze of 1/2 a lemon, 1 tsp. minced garlic, cut up cilantro and mexican spices. Serve on anything your little heart desires. Be sure to eat with baked chips! :)

9. Kombucha tea: Synergy makes the best if you donʼt have 10 days to brew it at home.

10. Apples with almond or sunflower butter: Slice apple and spread either butter over the top. So unique if youʼve never tried those butters before.

11. Spinach smoothie: This is different than smoothie above, but have no fear, itʼs just as tasty. Blend together until smooth: 1 spoonful of greek yogurt, splash of unsweetened almond milk, 3 ice cubes, small frozen banana, scoop of protein powder, 1 tsp. nut butter of your choice and two large handfuls of spinach or more. This usually makes a lot so I hope youʼre hungry. :) My favorite recipe of all time, no lie. Num.

12. Turkey roll-ups: This one is for the meat eaters out there! I used to eat these as a kid and loved them. Roll up slices of turkey and eat. Or roll up slices of turkey with cheese and a little mustard inside, even more flavor!

2 comments:

  1. Some great suggestions! I would add pretzels dipped in cream cheese....YUM!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I made fun of kale chips. If you make some, I promise to try them!

    Love you, honey!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete